Following feedback from surveys, benchmarking and compliance audits, ElectraNet has undertaken a project to rewrite the Asset Access Manual.
This will have implications on the training and licensing cycles.
The Asset Access Manual provides site access protocols to all personnel accessing any site within the ElectraNet transmission network including:
- transmission easements, lines and cables
- communication facilities.
It outlines the minimum requirements for access to ElectraNet assets to ensure all employees and contractors work safely near and around High Voltage (HV) plant and equipment.
The rewritten Manual will be renamed the Transmission Asset Access Manual (TAAM). The TAAM is to be used by every ElectraNet employee, contractor or sub-contractor who is required to access any site within the ElectraNet Transmission network.
The intent of the rewrite is to develop a manual that is easier to navigate, reduces the number of supporting forms required, is consistent with the structure established by the Switching Manual, meets industry best practice and is specific in highlighting and clearly communicating ElectraNet’s requirements for safe access.
The manual will be separated into two stand-alone volumes, divided by function: 1) Governance and 2) Rules and Procedures.
The two volumes will form the complete ElectraNet Transmission Asset Access Manual.
Other intended changes include:
- the document will no longer to be a joint document with SA Power Networks
- the manual will focus on ElectraNet requirements for access and ElectraNet specific authorisation (licence) levels
- content will be arranged in logical sequence with effective indexing
- more information relating to lines and communications sites
- relocation of organisational guidelines or procedures information relating to work activities (rather than access) – e.g. detailed information on excavation or hot work.
- access authorisation (licence) levels to be simplified and provide clear distinction between site/asset types with the objective being focused information for the access you require
- all visitors and workers from non-endorsed companies to be managed under robust short-term access provisions
- general Safe Approach Limits will remain unchanged except for the addition of a SAL value for Low Voltage (LV)
- reduction in number of barriers, ropes etc.